Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Farewell Sudan

As my time here in Africa is wrapping up, I too am wrapping up my various ministries. Last week was spent finishing up work in both the school and the hospital and saying my goodbyes. (Yes, I still have this full week but due to the Sudan census – which is actually postponed now – things have been shut down for the week.) I also attended the AIC Church for the last time on Sunday since we are having our South Sudan Unit Retreat this weekend.

AIC Primary School
My time at the school was spent reviewing the midterms which I had given the previous week. There are many students in both of my classes that are really struggling through school. I’ll give you an example. I have spent the entire term teaching the alphabet to my P3 students (basically 3rd-graders). After I graded their midterms, I found out that ¾ of the class are failing…by Western standards. The reasons for this vary: the language barrier between me and the students; students showing up for the first time half way through the term; lack of discipline in attending school daily; not being able to understand English which is what all lessons are taught in; and class size (when I showed up for my P3 midterm I had 80 students!). Against all these barriers, the school continues to push forward.

P3


Anyway, as I said earlier, I spent the week reviewing the midterms and then did something fun with each class. For P3, I took the words that they learned while learning the alphabet and played an altered version of “Hang Man”. It was the same concept as “Hang Man” but I called it “Build the Tukel”. I just didn’t think it was appropriate to play the actual “Hang Man”. For my P4 students, I took the opportunity to read two books to them. I have a much better relationship with my P4 students since they seem to understand me better and they’re a much smaller class (about 30). I read them an African book about a little girl’s first day of school. I later read them The Cat in the Hat which they thought pretty funny. I’m not sure that they understood much of either books but they loved the pictures. After I finished reading they gave me a big applause which I was tickled about. At the end of the class period I told the students that I would go back to the US. Many of them told me to take them with me but most of them just wished me “safe travels”. They asked all sorts of questions about where I lived and where other countries were located. I had to explain that the US and Canada are two different countries. One little boy asked if there were villages in the US. I had to explain that there were only towns and cities and nothing that resembled the villages in Africa. The questions continued and so I drew a rough, really rough, map of the world and pointed out where different countries were located. They wanted to know where London, Hong Kong, Australia, Uganda, Tanzania, and several other countries were located. I actually had a lot of fun pointing out the different places.
Me teaching
At the very end of the week I had a meeting with Phil, the headmaster, and deputy headmaster to discuss my time at the school and to talk about AIM’s future involvement with the school. It was a very successful meeting and very beneficial for all of us. The headmaster and deputy both thanked me for my involvement and were very open to allowing future missionaries to come in. Even though I’ve had my frustrations with the school, I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. My hope and prayer for the school is that it would continue to grow in effectiveness and efficiency and that it would exemplify Christ so that each child may grow in their faith.


P4


Torit Civil Hospital
I didn’t really have the opportunity to spend a lot of time at the VCT last week. All the counselors, except Richard, had gone to help with the census and the office was pretty much dead. Most of the time I spent working with the VCT was finishing up the sign. The sign turned out to be more difficult to make than I had anticipated. The paint was not the best quality and I didn’t have the proper paintbrushes or stenciling for doing a sign. But in the end the sign turned out ok. It was functional and that was good enough for me. Phil and I hung the sign Friday morning even though no one was even at the clinic. I was also able to make a flier that would be printed after the census and passed out through the town. I hope that now the sign is hung people would be aware that there is a VCT in Torit and not have to travel to other counties to be tested.

Richard and I

That same week we had an eye surgeon and his team that came up from Uganda to perform cataract surgeries. By the end of the week, they performed over 60 surgeries and saw many other patients for check-ups and issued prescriptions. Wednesday, after I finished at the VCT, I joined Phil, Linda, Matt and the rest of the team. I didn’t really help but it was just amazing to see the number of people that came out. I had the opportunity to talk to one girl who was suffering from severe blindness. She was in her early 20s and was attending school in Juba. She was a bright girl. Her English was perfect. She had done well for herself in spite of her condition. Unfortunately, there was nothing the doctor could do for her, but he did encourage her to keep up with her education and doing what she’s been doing. There was another woman who, I am told, was led by a cane by her daughter to the clinic on Monday. Her cataracts were so bad that she was unable to see to walk. Luckily, the doctor was able to remove her cataracts and restore her sight. I saw her on Wednesday and she was still smiling. She even raised her cane (in the form of a cross) and gave praise to Jesus in her mother tongue. This touched me so much! So many people came and accepted their diagnosis. Others came, heard their diagnosis, and decided that it wasn’t helpful. All in all, it was a very successful week and many people received their sight again.

Play Time
Saturday was my last day to spend some time with Amama, Peace, Winny, and a new-comer, Okecha Tonny (actually Beatrice’s youngest brother – he’s probably about 9 or 10). I’m not even sure that I’ve mentioned this, but I have had the girls, and lately Okecha, over to the house once a week to play games, color, look at books, and do other craft things. They have even helped me with my Arabic a bit. This last day we did the same things but they sang a few songs for me (which I recorded). I will take some of my craft things over to the kids before I leave so that they can continue their creativity. They have been such a joy to be around and I will miss spending time with them.


Okecha


AIC Church of Torit
Sunday was the last time for me to worship at the AIC Church. During the service they have a time when the visitors stand up and introduce themselves and tell the congregation where they come from. I too stood up and was able to greet the church. I told them that I would return to the US soon. When I said this many of the Women of Good News started murmuring or saying “oh”. Many of the church members (who I knew) did not realize that I was leaving so soon. At the end of the service I was able to greet everyone in the church in the greeting line. Many people told me to greet my “people of the US” and others told me not to go. After church was completely over, greeting line and all, Amama (Pastor Peter’s eldest daughter) grabbed my hands and refused to let them go. I know that she knows I will leave soon. I would so love to take her home with me. Her and her sisters! I was able to take some pictures of many of the kids once again along with Pastor Peter and his family. I’m really going to miss that family! I have really enjoyed getting to know some of the people in the church and I know that I will be quite sad to leave them.

AIC Church

Pastor Peter and his family

Although I have wrapped up my ministries I still have much to do my last full week in Africa. This weekend we will have our South Sudan Unit Retreat. Most of the AIM missionaries from all over Sudan will come to Torit for a time of reunion and encouragement. I am helping Linda get the house in order, baking, planning the children’s program, and setting up the accommodations for everyone (basically putting up tents but still appropriately appointed). It’s funny to me that I will be meeting some of these people for the very first time only to leave two days later, but I guess life is full of moments like that! I am excited that I am still here to be a part of this weekend and to see those I do know before I return home.

It’s still strange to me that my time in Africa is coming to a close. I feel as though I’ve been here for years and, at the same time, that I’ve only been here a couple of weeks. I’ve been asked about how I’m feeling about leaving. Part of me is excited to see my family and friends but the other part of me is sad to leave new friends and, well, Africa. God placed the desire for Africa in my heart a while ago. Even though God gave me the opportunity to serve in Africa, the desire only grows more. I pray that another opportunity will be given to me in the future, but we will see where God will lead me. I want to thank each one of you for supporting me in this mission. From your prayers and encouragement to your financial support and gifts, I appreciate it all. I would not be here today if I did not have your support. For that, I thank you.

This will not be my last entry. I may post a brief entry about the retreat and leaving Sudan once I’m back in the States. I will also post an entry reflecting on my time in Africa. So I guess the next time you will hear from me, I will be in America. I will see you soon! Salaam Taaki!


3 comments:

dessertratt said...

Was an act of God that you were there with Meghan in Nairobi!
Hope your Africa adventure was memorable and a safe trip home.

Sasha Rothwell said...

I am praying for your safety and look forward to seeing you and hearing all about your time in Africa! God bless.

Lydia Singer said...

Kelly! I have heard from Meghan how sad you are...It is quite lonely now in Ikotos and I was thinking the other day how cool it would be if you were with us too for this month...that would have been alot of fun...maybe too much fun for any of us to handle :)! Well i wanted to write you a note saying I am thinking about you and we pray for you too! I can't sign into facebook for some reason and i don't have your email so i could only resort to your blog comment sections to get a hold of you...I am jealous that meghan go to talk to you on skype though! But my email is legs3ksc"gmail.com (that " sign is suppose to be an at with the a circled but for some reason this computer at CRS doesn't have that symbol...the reason i can't sign into facebook...) anyway we miss you here! love, lydia