Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Back in America

Well, it’s been over a month since I’ve gotten back from Africa and I’d like to share with you all what’s been going on in my life since then:

The night before I was supposed to leave Sudan, we still had a few people at our house in Torit from our retreat weekend. At one point during the evening, Matt, Tara (short-termer in Yei), Megan Nelson (short-term coordinator from Kampala), and Verena (pre-AIM candidate) were all sitting on my bed while I was packing. This was reminiscent of my last night in the States with my sister, her boyfriend, and my parents in and out of my room while I was packing. The day I left Sudan was an emotional day for me. Beatrice came to say goodbye and told me that her girls already missed me. Peace, her 3-year-old, told her mother that she was going to sneak into my luggage and go with me! My flight was late (not unusual) so I was able to spend a little bit more time with the Bylers and Matthew. As I boarded the plane, I said my tearful goodbyes and left Torit. As I was flying over the town, I couldn’t believe that I was leaving. Six months flew past and it felt like only a couple of weeks.


me, Megan, Lydia, Meghan, Tara



my Sudanese family


I flew out of Sudan with Megan Nelson and we were able to spend the afternoon and evening in Kampala shopping and just hanging out. I spent the evening at Matoke Inn with the new innkeepers, Nigel and Rowena, and another couple (Susan and Mike Boyett, whom I met during the LAMP course). I got very little sleep that night and before I knew it, I was in a van driving back to Entebbe airport. God blessed me with one last glimpse of the African sunrise that will be forever engraved in my mind.

As I was traveling I began to realize how much I was going to miss Africa and the friends I had made there. In fact it was really hard to leave. At one point while I was sitting on the plane in London, I looked out the window and saw that the gate over was boarding a Kenyan Airways plane. I seriously contemplated getting off my flight and going to that gate. As I was flying over NYC, I felt like it was almost surreal. It was actually a bit over-whelming. How could I already be back in the States?

I arrived safely in New York late Wednesday evening (April 23) and my flight from London to Newark was actually an hour early (when does that ever happen?). My friends, Mark and Jess, were there greeting me in Hokie style (they literally had a sign with turkey tracks on it). After I met Jess and Mark, Jess bought me a Starbucks latte, and even though I woke up the next morning with bad stomach cramps (too much milk too fast) it was still amazing. That night, I only got about five hours of sleep. So between the little sleep my first night back in the States and practically no sleep in Kampala or on the plane, I was exhausted.

After my debrief session with Miriam (which was great!), my parents and Jo picked me up from Pearl River. I was so excited to see them, especially Jo! As soon as I got in the car and we started traveling, I couldn’t stop starring at my surroundings. It was so strange to look around me and see green…let along properly paved highways! My first reintroduction back into American culture was going to Panera Bread right outside of NYC at noon. Oh my! It was a bit overwhelming. And to top it off Jo and I got this woman that took our order and she treated us like we were five-years-old! I never wanted to get out of a place so bad! After lunch we traveled into Manhattan, where we would spend the next two days.

We had an excellent time in the city. That Thursday turned out to be a beautiful day. We met up with Jess and Mark and just walked around Central Park. It was beautiful! Everything was in full bloom. Jo got some amazing pictures (you should check out her blogspot when you get a chance...it's linked to the right). We toured the Met on Friday and it was great but I was exhausted. I still wasn't sleeping all that well and I wasn’t really feeling too great (I don't think I realized how rich American food was). Friday night we got to see a play (Wicked is amazing). And Saturday we headed home. New York was nice but I was happy to finally get home.



NYC in full bloom


me in Central Park


The Met


Since I’ve been back I’ve had the chance settle back into the “American” life. One of the first things I did when I got home was just stand in front of the refrigerator! It’s actually kind of weird. I was able to go six months without refrigeration, a reliable internet connection, television and cable, hot water, air-conditioned vehicles, a variety of clothes, stores with a wide selection of food, washing machines and dryers and, oh goodness, so much more! It’s amazing that I didn’t even realize that I had missed those things until I was around them again. I was able to get by without a lot of the conveniences of this lifestyle.

So, what have I been doing? Mostly, I’ve been trying to visit people and catch up. So far, I’ve been able to see many of my close friends, family members, and people from church. I’ve also been preparing for upcoming talks through my church…my first one is this Sunday. (I'm the guest speaker at the women's annual meeting; one of the member's wants me to speak at his covenant Sunday school class; I have to make a presentation to the board of deacons; and I will be making my own presentation for the rest to the church.) I have also been going through nearly 2000 pictures (ok that number may be a bit exaggerated…but there are at least 1700!). Jo and I have slowly been going through all of my pictures so that I can start working on presentations. We've been deleting and Jo's been editing in Photoshop. Jo and I have also spent quite a bit of time “de-cluttering” our house. We had a yard sale a couple weekends ago and as I was getting rid of some of that stuff I couldn't help but think "someone in Africa could really use this!" The other big thing for me will be weddings. This year will also be my third round of weddings. I had my first of many wedding events the first weekend of May. I had a bridal shower in northern Virginia, which was great since I got to see my best friend. I’ve also had the first wedding of the year a little over a week ago. I’m going to have a rather busy year and my weekends during the next two months are already filling up.


me and Alli at her bridal shower


me and dad at my cousin's wedding


So, what’s next? That’s something I’m still trying to work out with God. I’m in a discernment period right now. I know that I need to find a job and soon. Between the raising gas prices and the many weddings I will attend or be in, I’ll have to find a job! I’ve been rather lax in this area since I’m still not really sure what I want to do and the job market is not the greatest right now. Many people have asked about Africa. I actually do want to go back. I may look into going back to Kenya but I don’t know when. I’ve got a lot to discuss with God in the coming months. Until then, I will continue to tie up the loose ends of my first trip (presentations and what not).

I do want to thank you all, once again, for all of your support. I would never have gotten to experience Africa if it weren’t for each one of you. Your prayers and financial support have been greatly appreciated. I will hopefully be able to post a slide-show on this blog once Jo and I finish going through pictures. Also, I will be giving a presentation on June 22 at my church. I would like to extend an invitation to you all. I will send out an evite closer to the date with more details. Again, thank you for everything!

Salaam Taaki!

1 comment:

The Gallic's said...

welcome home. I also spent time in Torit for 6 months in 2006 and would love eto hear how thing are. Send me a email if you can. thanks